The family and I went on vacation to St Louis and San Diego over the last weekend for a few days which totally kept me busy all last week getting ready. Needed the last day or two to recover! I have a pizza recipe to post though and should be back on track with the posting now! I love this photo I took from the airplane to San Diego!
I am a stay at home mom so I have lots of time to hang out on the internet. I recently had some serious issues with members of a particular Facebook group (we all know each other in real life as well) and after making some adjustments to how I handle some things my life is MUCH more peaceful! Just some things I have learned:
Keep your status updates and profile on Facebook PRIVATE. You never know when and where they will be taken out of context and used against you. Like for example, in court!
Refrain from posting too much personal information in your status updates. I’m guilty of this in the past. While saying your ex is a jerk is one thing getting into a flame war with his sister-in-law is something completely different….
Groups and forums are an awesome way to get advice, support and make friends. It’s also a great source of unnecessary drama and stress. Some suggestions:
- If someone says something you don’t like, ignore it. If they do it again, block them. If they attack you, report to admin & block. If you find yourself more stressed out from reading a particular groups post, unsubscribe.
- We are all different and no one is perfect. Going around and being a grammar nazi is super annoying and just going to cause problems. Don’t criticize people for their opinions and choices. It just reflects poorly on you.
- Medical issues can be frustrating and connecting with others that have similar issues can be amazing. Please don’t offer medical advice. Most of us are not doctors. Simply state “this is what I have tried and what happened” not “stop taking that medication and do this/take that”.
Don’t upload or post if you have had a drink or taken drugs (I’m talking about like pain killers and things like that! I do not advocate illicit drug use! But don’t post about that stuff either!). After taking a muscle relaxer, pain killer or had a glass or two of wine with dinner I have been a little surprised at what I have found the next day!
Know your kids passwords. Set parental settings if necessary. Don’t be afraid to put your foot down! I recently requested my kids stop hanging out with a friend of theirs who was very foul mouthed and teaching the boys how to look up inappropriate things on the internet. I’m happy to report the use of the term “teabagging” has stopped….
Be kind. The world is already full of hate. Pick and choose your battles.
Do not engage in a flame war or indulge trolls. Just laugh at their pathetic attempts for attention and go look at cute critters on Pintrest or Reddit!
Go look at cute critters on Pintrest and Reddit. Especially cats!
Enjoy this little kitty slideshow!
I admit it. I am a social media whore and love sharing info, my opinion and basically anything I like (or sometimes HATE!) with folks. My interests are so wide and varied I could never try to list them all at once but one of my favorite things to do is save money and get things for free. I mean really- who doesn’t like that?! I also am a mom to 3 amazing kids, college educated, a decent cook and an avid gamer/all around geek. If I had to subscribe to only one fandom (I know, its SO HARD to pick just ONE!) it would be Doctor Who. My game of choice is the PC version of Diablo 3 and the expansion Reaper of Soul. I have an entire blog and Twitter pretty much dedicated to my Diablo “career” (check out the blog at thesoulraven.wordpress.com and on Twitter @the_soul_raven). I am in the process of establishing seperate media accounts for my geeky, mom endevours and you can find me on Twitter @geeksumptuous and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/geeksumptuous Please bare with me while I tweek and compile everything and get the party started!
Some things I KNOW I will be posting about:
- Autism- my 2 boys were diagnosed with Autism at a very young age and through intensive therapy they are both well-adjusted young men whom I am very proud of!
- Rheumatoid Arthritis- before the age of 30 I was diagnosed with seropositive RA and am currently on weekly self injections of methotrexate
- Fibromyalsia- In my early 20’s I was diagnosed with this pretty mysterious disease and have plenty to say on the topic!
- Cooking- I love cooking and baking! I do it all ranging from frugal to gourmet.
- Product and Resturant Reviews- I have participated in mystery shopping projects and am quite descriptive, concise and detailed in my reviews
- Budgeting and Money Saving- I think I might be OCD for saving money! I have many great, easy (or not so easy sometimes) ideas plus like to share new ones that I stumble across
- Parenting- Having 3 kids I feel like I am an expert on this topic for the most part (definitely a novice at the teenage years GAH!)
- My Cat- I’m totally a crazy cat lady and think my cat is one of the cutest. Ever.
- Gaming- We are a gaming household- PC, vintage, console, board, card and RPG included!
- General Geekdom- Star Wars, Star Trek, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who etc etc. Literary and reading nut, otaku in every sense of the word (anime, manga, Japanese culture in general) and so are the kids!
Stay tuned- I am hoping to create a fun, entertaining and informative blogging destination for the folks of the interwebz!